9.19.2013

Our Word Meant Something

I have heard many promises. Some people promise to keep in touch, some promise not to lie anymore. Others promise to return something borrowed and others promise to pay you back. Promises are dangerous.

I have been on both sides of promises. I have absolutely made promises that I have broken. I have also had promises made to me that weren't kept. The latter is a tough spot to be in. I find myself there quite often. 

Luckily, this blog gets next to no reads so I don't have to worry about upsetting anyone. It's kind of nice. If I did have readers, people would take the advice. I'm going to pretend this is the case here. 

Here's the thing readers (all statistically .3 of you). If you must continue to make promises, think about the implications of those binding agreements that you may not hold true to. Think about it long and hard. If you make a promise, keep it. Don't go back on your word. The repercussions of your word being broken are great. You don't even know them. Too often we treat our honor like its something that we can replace when it's worn out. That is unfortunate and simply not true. Once broken, the rebuilding process is long and hard. You can't buy this off of a shelf. Once it's gone, it's difficult to get back.

There will be people whose hearts you break. Your intentions may be good, but the pressure promises bring are not for everyone. Many are crushed and few hold true. If you must promise, promise this: to love wholly,forgive easily and always stand by your word. Make a believer out of me that people can be trusted becuase right now I am skeptical. If you can't do that, at least promise not to promise. At least that one won't hurt so bad when it's broken. I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment